2017: The Rebel's Manifesto
It's a brand spankin' new year (HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!) and it feels like everyone's come back from their break all sparkly and refreshed and armed with their resolutions for the year -- which got me thinking about what I'd like to focus on in 2017. Traditionally, I don't do resolutions -- I don't know about you but I find it too damn hard/boring to keep focus on just the one resolution for 12 whole months (if I can even remember what my resolution was going to be past the end of January). While I've got two words I'm being mindful of (NOURISH and GRATEFUL if you are curious, but more on those later) I've been looking for something more, something a bit broader to sink my teeth into. I think I was looking for more of a life philosophy to both keep at the back of my mind but also had the ability to challenge and light a spark in me. I didn't want to be too restricted in my thinking and actions because gosh life is short isn't it? I also didn't want to get to the end of the year and look back and realise that I'd totally dropped the ball by Valentine's Day, so when I came across the below words by Keri Smith I thought to myself hell yes lady, this is it, this is what my 2017 should be ALL about:-
- Do the opposite of what you were taught in school.
- Care not for the opinions of others. They are based on their own thoughts and fears.
- Study the work of other rebels. Steal things from them. Research with fury.
- Forget about the competition. They are on a different path than you. Trends are for suckers.
- “There’s nothing we really need to do that isn’t dangerous”— John Cage. Do the things that scare you on a daily basis.
- Make a mess.
- Embrace your dark side. Your so called “Dark Qualities” (or labels) are a source of great power. Find a way to incorporate them into your work. Feature them. Pay particular attention to what makes you angry.
- Exercise your voice. Put your thoughts, ideas and opinions out into the world even if it scares the shit out of you.
- Expand your horizons. Leave home. Visit other places/cultures. Wander aimlessly.
- Never limit your playtime. Even if your brain is telling you otherwise.
- All of your best stuff comes from it, if you allow yourself to remain open to the unknown.
- Question EVERYTHING.
- Follow your heart.
How about you guys? How do you feel about a rebellious 2017??