Dear NYC (Part II)
In October last year - before we knew for sure that we were going to be able to make the big move to the other side of the world happen -- I had a few important questions I needed to ask NYC. Someone asked me recently if I had an update on these (Thanks for the prompt Shybiker) -- So here goes:-
- Where can I buy Vegemite? Yes really. No, it doesn't taste like axle grease. Yes, you are putting too much on your toast. Just ask Hugh Jackman. I lasted a measly 6 weeks until I broke down and searched high and low for the pleasure of owning a jar of this Australian beauty. It. Was. Worth. Every. Minute. (Even if my husband won't kiss me after I've eaten it.)
- What exactly are Twinkies, S'mores and Hoagies? And do I want to eat them? Nope, still none the wiser on this one…
- Does anyone actually eat from the hot dog vendors? From what I gather, the food sits and festers for a few days until someone is drunk/high enough to think it’s a good idea. God help ‘em.
- Speaking of food, we will need to talk about your serving sizes. Always. Order. The. Appetiser. And go to the gym. A lot.
- Is that a rat or a cat? Definitely a rat. But I'm going to just pretend it's a cat for my sanity.
- How long until I can cross the street without spending 10 seconds reminding myself that you drive on the other side of the road so I need to be really careful I don't get killed? It’s still a work in progress two months in. Some days are better than others*.
- Do I need to change the way I spell Mum (Mom), honour (honor), accessorise (accessorize), flavours (flavors)? I can tell spell check and I are going to be BFFs. Nope - I'll worry about it when I'm employed and need to appear like I've got things under control -- until then I'm going to use as many o-u-r’s as I like.
- Will we need to sell organs to find an apartment? Nearly.
- YOU WANT HOW MUCH FOR THE APARTMENT??? No — really? [Gulp]
- Speaking of the cold, how cold does it really get? Am I going to get frost bite? Where on earth do I buy a coat that is warm enough to stop me from dying of hypothermia? Oh God. Oh God. Oh God. Oh God. Oh God. Oh God. Oh God. Oh God. Oh God. Oh God. Oh God.
- And lastly (and most importantly), will you love me as much as I plan on loving you? (I hope so). It blows my mind how much I equally love and dislike NYC in the space of a day (but that's usually due to some douchebag so it's not exactly the city's fault). She’s a saucy minx all right and I can’t wait to discover more of her secrets#.
* Not when alcohol is involved - it’s at these times I definitely need an escort to reach the safety of the other side of the street.
# Can this be done inside from November through to March? Brrrrrrrrrrr